Tuesday, June 10, 2014

GA Tourney Battle Report, 6/7/2014, Trolls vs. Trolls

Same List!

Opponents List:

Almost the same list!

eGrissel
-Runebearer
-Pyre
-Impaler
2x max Warders
max Champs + Skaldi
max Stone
Fell Caller Hero
Champ Hero
Janissa Stonetide
Feralgeist

Scenario: Process of Elimination

Terrain: Forest partially intruding on the right zone on my side of the board.  Not much else that mattered (random hills, obstructions that never mattered).

Holy crap, this looked (listwise) to feature the two most attritiony lists this faction could provide, practically.

Looking at our lists, I decided I wanted to do two things: make sure I got more charges off than he did, and try to use my beasts for a strong push.  I felt like Mulg and the Axer's hitting power could give me the stronger push.

I won the roll and went first so I could assume standard "Dump fury into stone" protocol.  I deployed pretty much the same as prior.  Warders far left flank, Champs center, Mulg and Grissel, warders right flank, others behind.

He nearly mirrored me, I think.  It was very similar.

I just ran forward Turn 1, getting into positions for contesting and charging potentially.  5 on the stone, Mulg sticking with Grissel.  Opponent ran forward, keeping a close mirror, Pyre and Impaler on the left side pretty much across from Mulg.

First, Grissel put up Dash, one in the stone, and 3 for Inhospitable, leaving her on one (after the Runebearer).  The stone went and popped for strength.  I decided I didn't want to go full out and run straight into him, so I gave a Charge order on my left side, sending two Warders into the opponent, but most importantly, I positioned them so it was nigh impossible for him to just charge his warders and get them onto all my guys.  Based on our positioning, I didn't think he'd be able to get many full charges off, and then what he did would be coming into range for Mulg to come over to help clean up.  Two warders both made it, with one missing and one doing 7 damage (so close to a Tough!)

My champs just jockeyed for position, with Mulg and my Champs staying just barely outside of the opponents champs threat range, but in Mulgs.  With Inhospitable up, it meant he could either Charge and short it, or he could just run, but Mulg was going to be eating faces shortly regardly.  This left me in a fairly comfortable position, while my other warders simply jockeyed with his.

He tried to swing back into my warders, but due to missing 3 or 4 of 5 attacks needing 5's (Seriously dude, I'm sorry.  That sucked) I only took some relatively superficial damage, and I was going to have 3 more charges coming in next turn.  His Champs advanced some up, while our Warders kept jockeying, and he popped his feat.

So, now I needed to figure out how to break ARM 22 and 23.  This oughta be fun.  Luckily, all his Champs were clustered, so I could knock down 5 in one shot with Grissel.  I Dashed, put one or two in the stone, and boosted to hit and damage, knocking down 5 Champs, and feated.  Because I'm a donkey, I placed my guys badly, and I only got the Champs into their Champs, but I left him 3 Champions lighter after the turn.  Both sets of Warders charged, but neither of these mattered in any meaningful way; it just turned into the plinkfest against each other.  Plus almost all my left side warders missed - slapfights galore!

So now he had to break my feat, but minus the charge.  He tried to plow damage into me where he could, but it was quickly becoming a bit more one sided.  Some Champs took some damage, I think one died, but he couldn't do a ton.  I know Grissel knocked them down, though; he wanted to cut out my feat with them like I did his (smart move).

Next turn, Mulg got in, and continued his string of crappy rolling from earlier.  He knocked out 2 Champs, including Skaldi, to snack back up (he'd been shot at by the Impaler and others a bit, so he was a bit wounded, including being knocked down I think by Grissel's shot).  He had about 7-8 damage at the end of the turn; I'd been hoping to have enough extra Fury to regen, but a couple of Tough rolls knocked that out.  The Axer got in and helped finish off some Warders, too, and triggering some Charge of the Trolls to help work them off the board.

His next turn, he kept trying to get some damage in, but his dice rolls really just weren't helping.  By the end of the turn, he'd removed one or two guys, and hit some good damage into the Axer with a charging Champ Hero, but not much more.  I was down a few Warders and Champs, but no unit was below half strength, and I only had about 10-12 damage points between my beasts.

The Axer decided to frenzy from his 1 Fury I couldn't pull, and obliterated the Champ Hero heroically (I think it was like 6-5-4 on damage).  At this point, we'd each removed a objective to sit at 1-1, but he was losing the attrition fight rapidly; my dead pile wasn't nearly as high as his.  I sent Mulg into Grissel to plow some damage around where I could, and my opponent ultimately conceded; he felt he couldn't break Mulg, we were all pretty tired, and he didn't believe he had much of a chance of winning at this point.

This game pretty much hinged around a few bad dice rolls (his, almost entirely), and the difference Mulg makes.  Mulg was a game changer - his presence quite frankly just changed the entire tenor of the game.  Once I started working out the Champions, his main armor breakers disappeared, while his Warders dueled with mine, and I could simply start cleaning up the pile piece by piece.

So, my reward for going 4-0 so far?  My friend winning the play-down game to make sure there was a round 5 so I could face Legion.  Lucky me!

No comments:

Post a Comment