Friday, April 25, 2014

Battle Report, Trolls vs Cygnar, 4-23-14

My list:

Grim Angus
2x Bombers
Impaler
Storm Troll
Fennblades + UA
Min Bushwhackers
Sons of Bragg
Bone Grinders
Swamp Gobbers
Whelps

Opponents List:
Siege Tier List (the new one)
-Triumph
Allison Jakes
-Charger
Journeyman Warcaster
-Hunter
Journeyman Warcaster
AT Gun Mages w/ UA
-Defender
Black 13th
Field Mechaniks (max)
Arlan Strangeways

Scenario: Destruction

I may be missing something on my opponents list - I'm not 100% sure.  This is close, though, and if I'm missing something I'm having trouble figuring out what it might be.

Terrain: Hill on my close left, near my objective, forest on my near right, near the corner of my zone.  Large obstruction on right side, a few inches away from his objective, and forest on the left side (opposite diagonal of the other forest).

I lost the roll, and my opponent picked a board edge, setting me to go first.  I deployed my Fennblades mostly on the left side, relatively opposite the hill, one Bomber centrally, one Bomber to the right behind the forest, with Grim right behind him, Impaler and Storm just behind those, SoB off to the right to go to the right side of the forest, 3 Whelps on the board.  Bushwhackers ended up on the right side in front of Grim (I really wanted to abuse the forest).

Opponent put the Gun Mages hard left from my view to go around his forest and flank with defender, the two Journeyman were just behind the forest, Hunter ended up in his forest, Siege central with Triumph so they could abuse a Trench, Jakes to the right with her Charge, Arlan somewhere near the Defender.  B13th went into the forest.  All these are from my perspective.

I did math really quick, and realize the only two things that should be able to reliably shoot my Fenns if I was careful were the Defender and Hunter because of the angles with the Fenns and Gun Mages, so I sent two of them max distance forward, the rest hanging back just an inch or two behind (ie, baiting out the Vengeance).  SoB just busted up the field because the Charger and Triumph couldn't get them, Bushwhackers advanced (a little too far, oops), Grim put Cross Country on the Bomber going into the forest and charged a Fennblade (short!), both Bombers ran max.

He advanced up the Hunter, shot up a Fenn (tough), put out Arcane Shield on the Hunter and on Siege with the two J-Men.  Arlan powered up the Defender, who walked forward, sniped, and removed another Fenn.  Gun Mages walked up but couldn't get in range (math!), Triumph ran but couldn't quite get in a trench, Siege foxholed and charged to put himself in the middle.  the Charger advanced to take shots, Jakes put on Sidekick.  Charger removed 1 Bushwhacker that I put about 1/2" too far forward - I'm not always smart.

Vengeance!  I moved my guys forward - nothing in range to attack, but my mini feat distance was now in play.  I looked at the board, and concluded the Gun Mages were probably out of play for at least another turn, so I thought I'd take a couple of chances.  Based on the board, I really didn't feel that Grim would be in good position to support the Fenns with Feat or Marked for Death, so I just resigned them to their fate - they could screen and buy shots, and let me work on the big boys.  If I could weather Siege's feat (thought it might be coming soon), I felt good about my odds.  Fennblades mini feated, two charged the Hunter, one charged Ryan (B13), and one ran to engage a Gun Mage.  ATGM failed Terror (whoo!), Ryan passed.  Missed 2/3 charges, plinked damage into the Hunter, while the rest of the Fenns just took a really spread position to cover board space.

Otherwise, I plowed a shit ton of damage into Triumph - left him on 4 boxes, but missed the cortex - with two Bomber sets, put some damage into the Charger with Grim and an assaulting Tor (SoBragg), and removed 5/6 mechaniks, including the leader.  Sadly left one standing - dammit.  I put out Girded to protect some Bushwhackers from an Explosivo charged round, and braced myself.

He feated (as expected), and laid out a Ground Pounder, but needing a lot of 6's and 7's (and a 10 on Grim), he didn't get a lot laid out on my Bomber, Grim, and some Whackers, so I made it out fairly safely.  The Bomber lost about 10, and then got shot by Triump to take him down to 9 health or so.  The Charger lit into an SoB who made his Tough, Gun Mages rallied, and one Fenn toughed out a B13 shot.  Ryan lit up two of them herself, and the Defender removed the officer.  I was down to about 4 Fenns (including Drummer) or so, maybe a little more, but most everything.  Importantly, he had nothing in the zone.

I decided it still wasnt a good Feat turn yet, and decided to just lay out damage.  Triumph got removed by one Bomber, the other Bomber and a Fenn took off the objective.  the Storm Troll with Snipe shot my own knocked down Fenn, and I got two jumps - which coincided with the two B13th almost on top of my guy.  I killed my own guy, but got 2 of 3 B13th, so I'll take that trade.  Fenns just annoyed the Hunter more, while the SoBragg charged the Charger, using the Standup call to get off the ground.  That was a mistake - I shouldve gone Fervor, just moved the gun on the ground out of the way, and charged, because Sidekicks is a really, really nice spell for making hitting a Charger very difficult.  Lesson learned.  After all was said and done, Triumph was gone, the Charger was banged up really badly but still alive, and I had 3 CPs, with my feat still up.  Oh, and Grim actually got a shot on Jakes - but sadly, I needed a 5 to kill on dice, and rolled a 4.  Oh, dice.  Silly, silly boys.

His next turn, he removed the SoB with Jakes and the Charger, Siege lit up some more guys, the Gun Mages ran back somewhat into the action, the Defender killed something (don't remember what), and the Hunter moved into the zone.

I cleared the Hunter, and that was game.  5-0 on CPs.

No comments:

Post a Comment