Quick note: Sadly, despite this being a potential 3 game tourney, I had to bail after Game 2, so I left an unresolved game with Andy with us both at 2-0. We had 6 people attend, with 2 Legion, 2 Trollbloods, 1 Khador, and 1 Circle.
Scenario: Close Quarters
My List:
pGrissel
Storm Troll
Pyre Troll
Impaler
Max Long Riders
- Sorcerer Adjunct
Horthol
Max Warders
Min Champs + Skaldi
- Sorcerer Adjunct
min Krielstone + UA
Swamp Gobbers
Opponents List:
Vayl, Consul of Everblight
* Angelius
* Angelius
* Ravagore
Blighted Ogrun Warspears (Leader and 4 Grunts)
* Warspear Chieftan
Blighted Ogrun Warspears (Leader and 4 Grunts)
* Warspear Chieftan
Spawning Vessel (Leader and 5 Grunts)
Blighted Nyss Shepherd
Strider Deathstalker
Strider Deathstalker
I lost the roll for choice of first/second, and my opponent elected to go first. Terrain was forest on opposite corners of the board (my close right, his close right), random walls that had little/no effect, and that was about it I believe. Fairly sparse for the game.
I'm a little hazy on his deployment, but I know there was a unit of Spears threatening on my flag, a unit fairly central, I believe both Angelii were near his flag with the pot, and the Ravagore on the right side. Approximately. Both Deathstalkers were threatening my flag.
I put my Long Riders mostly on the right, one or two in the back-central region, Grissel central right to attempt to dominate my friendly flag (similar to my last game), with the Warders left and the Champs on the center. Beasts and support were fairly central, as I recall. I decided to attempt an early game plan similar to that of a few days ago; attempt to dominate my flag and keep my points rolling in while using the Warders and Champs to contest his flag and jam up. It wasn't as successful as the day before, due to different lists and a few mistakes on my part, but still had moderate success. After I deployed, the unit of Spears across from the Long Rider Preyed them, while the other unit preyed the Champs.
He simply ran up, mostly straight forward, with Angellii threatening central/center left from my position, Ravagore central right, and the War Spears threatening middle and right. The Deathstalkers ran up, one moving way up the board into my side, the other moving about halfway up, right side.
I moved up a little cautiously - I gave him 1-2 Long Rider targets that were OK, but I tried to limit how much I gave him. The Warders went full bore and ended up getting Hoof It from Grissel, advancing relatively aggressively, although still remaining far enough away to not eat too much damage; I learned from the other day to be a little more cautious. Champions went up, but I held them a bit in reserve to protect them from the Warspears.
Top of 2, the Warspears assaulted/ran on each side. One of the Warders got damage plinked in, and one Long Rider died that I moved a hair too far forward and a Spear had him, along with some random Assault shots from other Spears. One Angel finished off a Warder, but I actually came out mostly intact; I was fairly content. At the end of this turn, the Ravagore had Admonition, one Angel had Refuge, and he had fairly solid threats across the board. Oh, and a Deathstalker knocked out a Sorcerer (failed Tough check) but failed to hit a Gobber in the cloud near Grissel (needed 11, rolled 10, yeesh!).
I decided it was time for the pain train, and lit the world up with Grissel's beautiful chorus of songs. The Pyre Troll, Impaler, and Storm Trolls all got random shots into the Warspears, resulting in 2-3 dead Warspears, as well as a dead Deathstalker. After Warder and Long Rider charges, I left him sitting on 1 Chieftain in one group, a Chieftain and Grunt in the other, as well as a single deathstalker, with no Champion hitting required. I repositioned to jam up the works hard with the Warders - pretty much sacrificing them for the next turn, because I was fairly sure it would take most of what he had to jam them - Champs went central, and the Long Riders stayed on the right. One Rider repositioned to tie up the Deathstalker, along with the Impaler.
However, I made one HUGE error on this turn; instead of charging the Long Rider into one of the Warspears, I decided to impact attack with Flaming Fists (taking impact to pow 16 on a Spear missing 4 already), since I needed 7 on 3 dice to hit... And failed to hit. Had I charged that guy, also, I would have needed 5 on two dice to hit a charge, then 5 on two dice for a Feat attack, at PS 16 and 14 for the two attacks. That would have let me dominate now, getting my scenario game going 2 turns earlier; instead, I lost the opportunity and ran out of attacks to finish the Warspear. Additionally, I made a smaller error in that I played too cautiously with the Champions, and they weren't in as good retaliatory position as I wanted next turn.
Next turn, he cleared the Warders with Angels, dismounted Horthol (I placed him about 11 inches away from an Angel; bad positioning on my part, but he did take a Skaldi Bonehammer counter charge which blew out Spirit on a Refuged Angel), killed a Champ, lost a Deathstalker to free strikes, and shot with the Ravagore but didn't accomplish much due to No Continuous Effects aura and the dice kinda crapping out. I believe Admonition stayed on the Ravagore if I remember correctly... Not 100% sure.
I was a bit counter-jammed, now, in my ability to get repositioning, but did my best, and freed up a few Champs to kill a Stinger with Skaldi (he'd spawned one by this point from the Pot), and cleared the War Spears, to get some better repositioning. Horthol crapped out on me for once :( and missed needing 6 to hit on an Angel to put more damage at D-3. I forgot to use Grissel's fell call, stupidly, but got her in dominating position to go up 1-0 on scenario. The forgotten Fell Call was huge, actually, in that it cost me Skaldi and good Champion position with Hoof It.
My opponent took this opportunity to wreck Horthol and refuge away (he was way outta the Stone's aura), then brought in a Ravagore to finish off a Long Rider near my point and contest. Skaldi got a random counter charge that didn't really matter, and was eaten by an Angel - I thought he would be anyway, because he was out of position, but oh well. He did some work for me, putting 11 on an Angel and killing a Stinger. Good boy. He ran the Shepherd in between my Impaler and his Ravagore, trying to minimize the number of beasts I could get on the Ravagore, as the Pyre and Impaler were in position to attempt to kill the Ravagore. A Stinger was spawned again and did some work in the middle, but Vayl couldn't quite dominate her side to take advantage of my position, so I remained up 1-0.
With the Shepherd in the way I was in a very awkward position, trying to figure out how to unjam myself. I was struggling to figure it out until I realized the Storm Troll's Lightning Generator might be just what I needed. I moved him into position, boosted to hit, and got 2 jumps (to the Shepherd and my Impaler), boosted slight damage into the Rava, and killed the Impaler. The Impaler was given Flaming Fists by Grissel, the Stone popped for +1 STR, and I walked around and started beating on him at dice -2. I left him at about 1/3 boxes or so, and the Pyre managed to finish him on the last attack.(retrospectively, I should have probably tried to get Calamity on the Ravagore, as that would have been better than Flaming Fists on one beast, but hindsight's 20/20). The Angel's had come up to threaten the center, and had been attacked
by the Krielstone members and champs, but I failed to kill the badly
wounded Angel (bad decision making with the Champs combined with failing to hit needing 7's on all the Champion attacks. Ouch.)
On his next turn, he moved Vayl into position to dominate, cleared the area around the objective, removed both remaining Champs (and one remaining Long Rider, I believe), and started threatening Grissel, leaving me in a pretty tough spot, having to clear 2 Angels, a Stinger, and still contest.
My next turn, I ran a Sorcerer around to contest, along with random Krielstone members getting in with the Vessel members, and was about to start pounding the Angel when dice down was called, giving me a 2-1 scenario win in a very tough match.
I made some key mistakes that really left me a bit further behind than I should have been, including not focusing more attention on a nearly-dead Angel, but I luckily got away with my mistakes and made it out of a very tough round with the victory. The early CP's managed to win the day for me!
No comments:
Post a Comment