Well, it's been a couple of weeks of theorycrafting and one round of game experience, but I'm back with more thoughts. So here's a little bit of impression about Doomy3. I'll probably follow up in a later post with more in depth list thoughts!
Thoughts: Doomshaper is really the biggest weakness of his own list. I was significantly up in a game versus an Axis tier list, controlling the scenario with all of his heavies dead, and still he was able to pull up a good shot at an assassination run. Granted, I'd flubbed mine the turn before and made a maneuver that left me open, but I realized very quickly after my opponent started that I could die. Luckily, free strikes from Mulg, an Axer, and a Mauler were a bit too much for him to overcome (Rage on Mulg and the Mauler, too!)
So this leads to my next thought: Implacability will win games for Doomshaper. My opponent wanted to set up an Axis assassination run, but the inability to push my warbeasts backwards meant he had to go for a much jankier move around that put him down to his very last attack in our simulated run. Additionally, Implacability stopped Axis from moving my beasts around with battering ram, AND stopped the Inverter's counter charge. So... It's huge, at certain times. Some games it won't matter, but I think it will flat out win some games.
However, there was a notable problem: The only thing that forced my opponent into me in my games was a central scenario. Had my opponent been in a slower scenario, he could have drawn back and bought time. The scenario and terrain really set me up for an ideal situation, which was nice, but unreliable at best.
So my next thought: Doomy lacks a way to force an opponent into him. As much as I enjoyed my Fire Eaters, I think they're not necessarily where I want to go, AND I don't know that I want to stay with the normal "Beast Brick" style that has been heralded via Runes. While I think this beast brick is effective, I think - from early, snap judgements that I may rethink - Runes does it better due to walls and 8 more points (tier and beast points).
From bouncing ideas off of other players and some suggestions for what else to throw in (Thanks Liam!), I think bringing in a longer ranged game to force the opponent to come meet me is a highly advantageous game plan. I actually think I want to try Bushwhackers and maybe 1-2 ranged beasts that can get into my opponent to feel as if they have to move in somewhat, and I think it might - in some game situations - allow me to delay my feat one turn. I think, if you can force a Turn 3 feat from Doomshaper, it will be way more devastating. I think there are some exceptions, but being able to wait and really put the offensive feat portion to use feels huge.
Finally, and this may shift as I try different list builds and ideas, but I think that Tier - for now - is the way to go. I don't have double Garg's to try Tier 4, but I think that the +1 to starting and +2 speed are huge. Going first enables Doomshapers army to get incredibly forward - 21"+ even going first - and to allow zone control. If the opponent comes in too fast, a feat turn 2 can be devastating. Not fast enough, and a Turn 3 feat might occur, which has a much higher potential for the offensive portion of the feat to be used.
Once I have a Glacier King, I'll probably try a single GK list; it won't be Tier4, so no point reduction, but I think that the GK plus other beasts to allow zone control and sheer power has a lot of merit. Post-WMW, I'll probably proxy and try it, but for now I'm just going with what's out (beyond proxying Doomshaper himself!)
No comments:
Post a Comment