I'm back! Going to try (again) to be more brief; writing long posts was part of what wore me out I think, and got me a little less likely to post. So here goes!
My List:
Jarl
-Rune
-Impaler
-Bomber
Horgle
-Slag Troll
Highwaymen + Braylen
Warders
SoBragg
Swamp Gobbers
Chronicler
Totem Hunter
His List:
Stryker2
-Squire
-Stormclad
-2x Sentinel
2x max Stormlances
Stormblades
-UA + 1 WA
Stormblades
2x Stormblade Captain
Scenario: Close Quarters
Terrain: Forest touching my flag, forest just on the other side of his. Hill on his side opposite my flag, hill on my side opposite his flag. Random obstruction in the middle.
Quick Assessment: Lots of infantry for me to kill! Not so fond of the Deflection, though, since that'll put especially the Stormlances in an awkward spot to kill. 19 ARM + 5 boxes leaves only the Bomber as reliable at ranged, really. And he's got a lot of heavy hitting, so my Warders are probably forfeit.
Deployment: I put the Highwaymen to the left with Braylen and Horgle & co. Bomber, Jarl, and Rune went right, Warders central, SoBragg far right (near the forest) with the Totem Hunter. Chronicler behind the Warders and Highwaymen.
All his Stormblades were in 2 clumps centrally with Stryker. The Stormclad was line up with his flag, Sentinels to either side, Stryker with the Stormclad, and the Stormlances hard to either flank.
Game Time: This section will be a little different than previous writings. I'm going to be a little more succinct about the happenings.
We both ran up, mostly, in Round 1. I'd preyed one unit of Stormblades, and he kept them back to deny the Prey bonus. On Turn 2, I decided my priority was finishing off the Stormclad; I wanted his heavy out of the way, because most everything else could be killed by normal PS 12 shots or CRA's from the Highwaymen. He shield guarded a Slag shot, but the other shot + 2 Bomber shots (I rolled the 7 to hit like a boss, unboosted) + 2 Warders got the 'Clad, and half-crippled a Sentinel (I blew out the damage). A Highwaymen CRA took down 1 lance, while the Assaulting SoBragg crapped out to do minimal damage.
He feated, and he took out a ton of guys. He took down about 6-7 Highwaymen, at the cost of 3 of the 4 Lances knocked down (Chronicler w/ Hero's Tragedy), all but 1 Warder, all but the 2 swords guy of SoBragg. He also got a few damage into either the Bomber or Impaler, I forget which.
My retaliation involved killing as much shit as I could manage. I managed to take him down to about ~6 Stormblades + 2 Stormlances on one side, and about 2 Lances on the other, plus the Captains on either side. The Slag Troll finished a Sentinel, while the Impaler slapped down the other.
He did what he could to retaliate; he removed another Highwayman or two, and put some damage into the Slag and Bomber, but he was running out of guys at this point. The one Stormlance got the last SoBragg, but he toughed.
On my turn, I wiped up the remaining Blades, cleared the Captain on my flag side, and took out the Sentinel, along with a Lance or two. I made one big error, though, and left Jarl in range for a Velocity + charge from Stryker on my Tactical Supremacy move... Shit. I should've just kept him back and fed contesting models into his flag repeatedly, since he was nearly out of models that could contest and won the long game. So, crap.
On his turn, he velocity'd for 2 into Jarl, who was on a 2 camp, leaving him on 5. His overboost put him at PS 26, or Dice +11 into a 16 box Jarl. his first two hit, and blasted me hard, leaving both the Impaler and Bomber on a single box each, with no transfers. His third shot hit... and snake eyes, leaving me on 3 HP. So then Horgle got a Slag bonus, walked up behind Stryker, and gave him a hammer to the back of the head.
Post-Match: We both made a lot of mistakes, playing with unfamiliar lists. We forgot abilities, or placed in bad spots; I left Jarl way too far forward a couple of times, trying to do too much. That said, I was incredibly happy with my infantry shredding on my guys, as well as general mobility. The Totem Hunter, Jarl, and Braylen all dashed in and out with ease, giving me a lot of board movement. If I'd played the game the way I intended to early, then Swift Hunter + Tac Supremacy would've moved the Highwaymen all over the board, but I screwed up and failed at that, and made it way easier for him to kill the Highwaymen.
The Warders will become Gators, too, after I move some points around. I felt like I had to pull the Warders along, somewhat, and I like the volume of attacks as well as potentially higher DEF better from the Gators, particularly in synergizing with the feat (-2 to attack rolls). I have other changes I'd like to make that I've discussed with another local player, so I'll be probably maneuvering a couple more things around and trying a couple of new ideas.
No comments:
Post a Comment