Monday, July 21, 2014

Tournament Report, 7-19-2014

This post is going to be a changeup from my normal description, because honestly my games at this past weekend's tourney weren't really that great for battle reporting.  I didn't play particularly well, but I came out of it with a few lessons instead.  Additionally, I didn't get to run the Jarl list I wanted to due to slacking on my part in building my beasts (Rok, Wrongeye and Snapjaw), so it's not quite as interesting as I wanted to.

My three games were:

1) pDoomy vs. Kromac, assassination loss top of 3.  I misplayed and left Doomy wide open in really bad shape, which left an easy kill for my opponent.  I was playing a Doomy MK list against Kromac, 2x Stalkers, Skinwalkers, and other trappings.

2) Jarl vs Ossrum.  Jarl featured Horgle with his Slag, along with Mauler, Bomber, SoB, Impaler, and Gators.  Other trappings also, but they had less effect.  I misplayed and didn't get a good angle to get my Bomber or Mauler on the Earthbreaker, but won the game by jamming him up in his scenario and dominating mine one point at a time.

3) Jarl vs. Butcher3.  Our local Khador player just started B3, and I had no good answer.  I rolled with Jarl because I figured he might have my best infantry clearing chances (correctly), but I just didn't have good Butcher3 answers.  A misplacement on my part cost me both the Bomber and the Mauler (the Bomber was about 1/4 inch from safety, sadly), but I still brought B3 down to 4 HP before he won on scenario.  Had I not misplaced the Bomber, I'd have had a good chance at winning.  C'est la vie.

But I learned a few things, from this weekend and previous games:

1) The MK is really, really freaking intimidating to players who can't answer ARM 23.  The Kromac list featured no Gorax, meaning PS 18 was his highest PS potentially, and it would've been under pDoomy's feat had I played correctly.  At d-5, with all the boosting, the King is a hard out, especially since I'll heal up from Whelps and killing his Stalkers, assuming I hit them.  And the attrition scales massively in my favor the longer the King stays alive.  Unfortunately, I did not play this well, and I was unable to test him out as thoroughly as desired.

2) Jarl has the ability to do a ton of work, then hide on a 1 or 0 camp.  This won't work on some factions, of course, but it easily worked in my game.  I had him in a forest, darted out, shot, and used Tactical Supremacy to slip back.  Jarl himself killed at least 10-12 models over the course of the game probably.  If you can keep him safe, he's magical.

3) Butcher3 is intimidating as all get out.  I had to play extremely consciously of his threat ranges, and it made my game much harder.  I was mostly successful, but some bad placements cost me a chance at the game.  It was a fixable mistake, but I very much prefer to have the option of a form of shutdown (a la Grissel1, Mulg, etc.) available.

4) I need to find ways to kill Thor.  F that guy.

No comments:

Post a Comment